Road Rage is an increasing and very dangerous problem for cyclists. There are many victims of a driver with road rage and now a days it seems that overly angry drivers with road rage are picking bicyclists as their victims.
- Carry a cell phone with you at all times. This is important for many reasons while cycling, road rage being one of the many reasons. With a cell phone you can pull over and make a quick call to the local authorities and report the road rage. You can also photograph the road rage driver and his/her vehicle. You can also document your injuries and damage to your bike, as well as the general accident scene if you fall victim to road rage.
- It goes without saying, but we will say it anyways: be alert out there! Itâ€™s not called the urban jungle for nothing. Every moment is potentially filled with danger. Take notice of the drivers surrounding you. Be extra cautious if a car pulls up next to you.
- Always follow safe biking rules and laws. Never be the cyclist that all drivers hate because you are cutting cars off, running lights, etc. Be careful out there.
Of course, sometimes there isn’t anything you can do and you may someday be the victim of road rage. We sincerely hope not. Stick to these guidelines below if you are ever a victim of road rage:
- Try not to be angry. You do not want to appear as an aggressor at all – so watch what you say, and watch what you do. Someone could be taking photos or video of you and your words or actions can limit your ability to recover for your injuries and bike damage.
- Get the police involved. Its ok to call the police and often you should inform the road rage driver that you will be calling the police.
- Document everything. Take many pictures and video if necessary. Make sure you can take some notes about the description of the driver, the occupants, etc. The license plate is also very helpful. Take all of the contact information you can get from any witnesses to the incident. Carrying a smart phone is such a good idea as it can do all of this for you.
We sincerely hope you never become a victim of road rage, but if you do then you should consult with an experienced bike accident attorney immediately to understand your rights and to ensure that you are protected. Call or email Ben Dodge, and experienced Bicycle Accident lawyer and get immediate answers 24/7 365/yr at (855) ONE-EZ-CALL (855.663.3922). Understanding your rights can bring clarity to your case.