Finally settled for full policy limits with an insurance carrier who for months has denied any and all liability. Said insurance company hit and nearly killed our client while riding his bicycle in his neighborhood. Our client, who was 13 years old at the time, was hurt so badly that he had multiple brain surgeries and extensive medical procedures done just to attempt to save his life over the course of about a year.
After months and months of treatment this young boy not only lives but has made a seemingly full recovery! He is literally an inspiration to me and to many others. His case on the other hand was complicated from the start. The insurance company quite predictably tried to blame the young boy for the accident and refused any liability even from the very beginning.
The mother had actually retained another law office prior to consulting with me as a member of the National Bike Accident Attorneys Network. I recall listening to her story of the frustration she encountered and the roadblocks set up immediately by the insurance carrier. I remember thinking to myself that this case was going to be difficult and that without a committed and experienced bicycle lawyer this family would likely be stuck with significant medical bills. I was right.
We had a great conversation and she instantly agreed that our firm was a much better fit as all we handle are bicycle crash cases. We accepted the case and immediately went to work. After reviewing thousands of pages of documents provided to us by our client’s diligent mother it became clear that we were facing potential medical bills well over a million dollars and an insurance carrier that refused all liability. This was going to be a tough case with a high probability of my firm not getting paid a cent.
The policy limits in this case ended up being around $120K. Even if were to be successful in proving liability we had a massive medical bill issue as the liens alone were close to a million dollars. This is when as an attorney you have to be committed to your client more than to making a buck. Ask yourself as a client this important question: How committed is my lawyer? Will he/she do everything in his/her power to protect my interest or will they give up when it looks like they won’t make any money? If you even sort of hesitate with your answer then run away, and run away fast. Sadly, the personal injury side of the legal industry is full of greedy attorneys that only look for the quick buck or the big cases.
Obviously I am committed. I have been told many times that I am the most committed and determined person that most people will ever meet. Here is how this story goes condensed for your reading pleasure:
- We rolled up our sleeves and went to work. Inviting the mother who already proved to be a valuable asset to help us dig up anything we could on the driver. We were all convinced that this girl driving the car was very distracted or she couldn’t have possibly hit our client.
- Working closely with the mother, we uncovered some damning photos posted on social media (Face Book) where this driver not only like taking selfies of herself in the car, but she may even have been addicted to “driving selfies”. She had posted hundreds of selfies while driving on her FB account. We downloaded every single one of them for use with her insurance carrier. Some of these pictures are posted here with her face blurred out to protect her identity (notice one of them even while she had her infant son in her car – yikes!).
- Finally after proving liability sufficiently to the insurance carrier (the FB pictures proved to be most helpful) they agreed to settle at full policy limits. So far, no other firm was able to even get this far or was even willing to work this hard knowing that the medical bills far outweighed the settlement at 11:1. With over $1,000,000.00 in medical bills/liens and only $120,000.00 to spread around for our clients we rolled up our sleeves and went to work knowing that at the end of the day we would be lucky to get the medical bills even half paid for our clients and all this for free as there was not enough money to even pay a fee to our firm. That didn’t matter. We were committed to our clients regardless of our eventual payout.
- After months of head banging negotiations we succeeded in getting $1,000,000.00+ in medical bills and liens waived and reduced to a total of about $35K! Our client was able to know that not only did he not have to worry about bills he could never pay, but now he had some money left over for a college fund. Awesome day.
Thank you Face Book. Thank you for making this case possible. 😉
Moral of the story: 1) Don’t post stupid pictures or comments on FB; and 2) if you ever get hurt in a bicycle crash make sure you find a bicycle lawyer more committed to you than to his/her own pocket book.
How committed is your attorney?
-Ben Dodge, Keep the rubber side down!
Bicycle crash and bicycle accident lawyer Ben Dodge
A bicycle crash is not always an accident. If you, or someone you know were injured in a bicycle crash or accident caused by a road hazard or dangerous road condition, hire a personal injury attorney who is experienced and has a successful track record. Ben Dodge, a licensed bicycle accident lawyer in Arizona, has dedicated his entire firm to one purpose: representing cyclists. Bicycle accident cases are the only cases Bike Accident Attorneys, PLC handles. Home based out of the great state of Arizona, Ben can still help cyclists in the entire United States. Ben also founded Bike Accident Attorneys Network, a national network of attorneys who focus on representing cyclists. Ben can find you help anywhere in the country.
Ben Dodge has represented and assisted bicycle accident victims across the entire united states. As an avid and competitive cyclist himself, Mr. Dodge currently participates in national and local cycling events all over the country. It isn’t uncommon to spot him in early morning hours out riding his bike. Having competed in 8 Ironman triathlons, numerous local and national cycling races, and a successful finish in the Race Across the West, 2016, he really knows what it is like to ride and race a bike. The day he fell in love with his job was the day he devoted himself completely to bicycle accident cases.
Ben represents cyclists injured in bicycle accidents, at the police station, with insurance companies, and in the courts. He advocates for the rights of all cyclists, not just his clients. He teaches the police about bike laws and bike safety, he educates drivers about the rules of the road, and he trains cyclists and clubs to ride more safely.
A consultation with experienced Arizona bicycle accident attorney Ben Dodge is free
In recent years there has been approximately 700 bicycle fatalities in the united states every single year. Approximately 2,000 bicycle accidents are reported in Arizona every year. approximately 30 fatal bicycle accidents are reported in Arizona every year. Bicycle fatalities are terrible and horrific tragedies that affect the lives of too many families and friends to count. Understanding your rights and obligations as a cyclist can bring clarity to your specific accident situation. It will always be in your best interest to be represented by an attorney who knows the bicycle laws and has a successful track record of winning bicycle accident cases. The negotiation tactics and strategies of winning a case are extremely important but should always take a back row seat to the litigation experience and knowledge of court room rules, local, state, and federal rules of civil procedure that can have significant impact on your bicycle accident case. It is wise to be represented by someone well versed in bicycle accident law, local and state bicycle ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and laws. You should hire someone very familiar with negligence and tort law, civil procedure, and the rules of evidence as they all relate specifically to bicycle accident cases.
Ben Dodge always offers a complimentary in person consultation to all local cyclists and a complimentary phone consultation to any cyclist injured in a bike accident. Typically the consultations are schedule from 30-60 minutes depending on the severity of the accident. You can expect to get answers to questions, clarity, information, and reassurance of your personal bike accident liability and potential for recovery. In your free consultation you can generally expect to discuss such topics as:
- your specific bike accident details, diagrams, and pictures from your perspective and then from the perspective of your bike accident attorney.
- the applicable local, state, and federal laws underlying your case.
- your cyclist’s rights, obligations, and any potential liability.
- the process, procedure (in and out of court), and the time frame required to conclude your case.
- the value of your case and what you might expect as compensation.
You can call Arizona bicycle lawyer Ben Dodge of bike accident attorneys, PLC at 1.855.663.3922. Mr. Dodge’s staff is standing and ready to accept your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every single day of the year. Ben will personally return your call within 24 hours. there is never an obligation for a complimentary consultation with Mr. Dodge. His passion is in representing cyclists and his entire office stands ready to serve with kindness and patience.
Bike Accident Attorneys, PLC
Call Ben Dodge, the Bicycle Lawyer today at 1.855.663.3922. Reach him by fax at 1.800.958.8902.
Mr. Dodge can also be reached by email at email@example.com
His main Arizona offices are located at:
Mesa Arizona (home base office)
4824 E. Baseline Rd., Suite 124
Mesa, Arizona 85206
Phoenix Arizona office
2415 e. Camelback rd., suite 700
Phoenix, Arizona 85016
Tucson Arizona office
One South Church Avenue, 12th Floor
Tucson, Arizona 85701
Mr. Dodge represents cyclists in the entire state of Arizona including but not limited to mesa, phoenix, tucson, yuma, gilbert, peoria, glendale, scottsdale, ahwatukee, tempe, chandler, prescott, sedona, flagstaff, surprise, kingman, page, lake havasu city, payson, goodyear, buckeye, queen creek, paradise valley, show low, winslow, maricopa, nogales, globe, avondale, cave creek, fountain hills, apache junction, carefree, wickenburg, pinetop-lakeside, strawberry, anthem, safford, and more. Ben Dodge is currently involved with bicycle accident cases all over the country and has founded a national network of independent bicycle lawyers that can assist in representation in all 50 states.